Adhesion Barrier Market Overview
Adhesion Barrier Market is expected to register a CAGR of 7.32% during the forecast period from 2019 to 2025 and anticipated to reach USD 928.78 million by 2025. Adhesion barrier is a medical implant used for patients enduring abdominal or pelvic laparotomy as an adjunct intended to lessen the occurrence of postoperative adhesions between the abdominal wall and the under-lying viscera.
The adhesion barrier market is expected to grow at a steady growth rate. Major factors influencing the growth of the adhesion barrier market include increasing surgical procedures for small bowel obstruction, infertility, & chronic pelvic pain, and cost-effective prevention of adhesions among others.
The risk for using adhesion barrier in patients with a history of hypersensitivity and choice of using adhesion barriers among surgeons have been major factors hampering the growth of the adhesion barrier market.
Adhesion Barrier Market Drivers
- Increasing abdominal surgeries
- The majority of the laparoscopy procedures lead to adhesions. It is estimated that annually in the United States more than 400,000 laparotomies are performed for small bowel obstruction
- In the US, it is found that obstetricians-gynecologists perform two of the most common surgical procedures including cesarean delivery and abdominal hysterectomy, that is associated with a risk of developing pelvic adhesions. There has been increasing adoption of adhesions barrier products to prevent pelvic adhesions and thus contributing to the adhesion barrier market growth
- According to a study it was found that adhesions occur in about 97% of abdominal interventions causing chronic pain, infertility, and intestinal obstruction
- Cost-effective prevention of adhesions
- In open surgery, adhesion barrier decreases the surgery cost compared to no adhesion barrier i.e., USD 4,376 versus USD 4,482
- In the US, a four-year study was conducted, and it was found that the average cost of colorectal surgery was reduced to USD 106, from USD 4,482, without an adhesion barrier to USD 4,376 with an adhesion barrier.
- The risk of using adhesion barrier in patients with a history of hypersensitivity
- Choice of using adhesion barriers among surgeons
Adhesion Barrier Market Segmentation
- Synthetic Adhesion Barriers: The synthetic adhesion barriers are further segmented into hyaluronic acid, regenerated cellulose, and polyethylene glycol, among others. Synthetic adhesion barriers accounted for major market share owing to various advantages over natural adhesion barriers, including high biocompatibility, bioresorbable property, and cost-effectiveness of these products.
- Natural Adhesion Barriers: Thee natural adhesion barriers are further segmented into collagen & protein, fibrin.
- Film: Film based adhesion barriers are estimated to hold the largest market share, owing to better handling characteristics and proven positive results. There are major manufacturers for these products, such as J&J, Sanofi, and others.
- Gel: Gel-based adhesion barriers are composed of polyethylene oxide and sodium carboxymethylcellulose, with protective activity.
- Liquid: Liquid-based adhesion barriers are intended to create a site-specific barrier on a target
- Mild Adhesion: Mild adhesion accounted for the largest market share. According to a study out of 122 patients, it was found that only three patients shifted from mild to severe adhesion. Example of mild adhesion includes filmy and avascular
- Severe Adhesion: Severe adhesion is estimated to hold the least market share. Example of severe adhesion includes organized, cohesive, vascular, and dense
- Gynecological Surgeries: Gynecological surgeries are estimated to hold the largest market share owing to a large number of gynecological procedures and a huge number of women tend to develop adhesions post surgeries. It is estimated that 90% of the patients undergo key abdominal surgery and among this 55 % to 100% of females undergo pelvic surgery develop adhesions
Adhesion Barrier Market By Region
- Americas: The Americas headed the Adhesion Barrier Market in 2019 and is likely to continue to command the market during the forecast period. This is attributed to the presence of a large number of medical device companies, rising research and development, increasing laparoscopy procedures, and the presence of a large number of the patient population to adhesion. Alone in the US, more than 400,000 laparotomies are performed for small bowel obstruction annually.
- Europe: The region is projected to hold the second-largest share owing to increasing utilization of advanced products, and increasing development of products by existing manufacturers
- Asia-Pacific: Asia-Pacific region is expected to grow at the fastest growth rate during the study period. This is attributed to the hugely populated countries like China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, rising gynecological procedures, and increasing government programs for awareness of women related diseases
- In December 2019, Baxter International confirmed that it would acquire Sanofi's surgical products unit Seprafilm and related assets for USD 350 million in cash. The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2020.
- In October 2018, FzioMed announced a new anti-adhesion product Oxiplex/IU, adhesion barrier gel for intrauterine surgery.
Adhesion Barrier Market Key Players
- Johnson & Johnson
- Anika Therapeutics
- Atrium Medical Corporation (A Part of Getinge Group)
- Baxter International
- Betatech Medical
- R. Bard
- Innocoll Holdings
- Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corporation
- MAST Biosurgery
- Normedi Nordic.
Speak to Analyst
Ask for Customization
2025: USD 928.78 Million 2027: Significant Value
Value (USD Million)
Revenue Forecast, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends
Product, By Formulation, By Severity and By Application
North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)
Johnson & Johnson, Anika Therapeutics, Atrium Medical Corporation (A Part of Getinge Group), Baxter International, Betatech Medical, C. R. Bard, FzioMed, Innocoll Holdings, Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corporation, MAST Biosurgery, Normedi Nordic, and Sanofi
Key Market Opportunities
Increasing surgical procedures for small bowel obstruction
Key Market Drivers
Increasing abdominal surgeriesCost-effective prevention of adhesions
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :
Adhesion barrier is a medical implant used for patients enduring abdominal or pelvic laparotomy as an adjunct intended to lessen the occurrence of postoperative adhesions between the abdominal wall and the under-lying viscera.
Adhesion Barrier Market is expected to record a CAGR of 7.32%.
2019 to 2025 is the growth period calculated for the Adhesion Barrier Market’s growth.
The Adhesion Barrier Market is expected to grow at a steady growth rate due to rising surgical procedures for small bowel obstruction, chronic pelvic pain, infertility, and cost-effective prevention of adhesions among others.
The market challenges faced by Global Adhesion Barrier Market are the risk of using adhesion barriers in patients with a history of hypersensitivity.
MAST Biosurgery, Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corporation, Normedi Nordic, Sanofi, and more have been investing in the market’s growth immensely.
This table of content is tentative and subject to change as the research progresses.
Please Note: Financial details of company cannot be provided if the information of the company is not available in public domain and or reliable source.